September 26, 2007

Mama Said...

Days like yesterday... Mama said there'd be ones like it. Storey cried anytime my thumb or my boob wasn't in her mouth. And there was no napping, for either of us, other than the one she took in the sling when I walked up to the gallery and back to drop off some more prints to Linda. By the time Jason got home I was fried and so was our girl. It's almost like, in order to maintain patience and calm, I have to go comatose, numbing myself to the fact that my day has, for the most part, sucked.

But then, there's my husband, who took her as soon as he got home and put her miraculously asleep (after she filled her diaper in his honor). Then towards the wee hours of the morning he stayed up with her again and let me get some much needed sleep before we started another day together. And he woke me with a hug and let me take a shower, before his. A long, unhurried shower. It was pure bliss. And he made us eggs for breakfast.

I can't explain how much this means to me. I think it helps the girl too, because unlike yesterday, today Storey is already napping. Who knows. Maybe she was constipated or growing or just too damn sweaty for a Tuesday and it threw everything off. But it rained last night, it's nice and cool, she's had a bath and all seems to be right again with the universe.

It's funny how someone so small can impact your whole existence on a daily basis. I wonder how many people-to-be-parents realize just how much life becomes nothing about you once you have a kid. I'm sure my Mama said that too at some point.

No comments: