October 07, 2007

You Are What Your Mama Eats

Ahh. We're learning so much, stumbling, bumbling through. Trial and error.

First, Storey got all stuffy, to the point where she couldn't breathe when she ate or slept on her back. Our days and nights were filled with snorting, screaming and the sucking sound of the bulb aspirator (a gross but miraculous tool).

We got rid of the feather pillows. I dusted the ceiling fan (ew! how did WE breathe?) and we still had one miserable kid on our hands. Finally I came across chocolate as a possible allergen. Here over the course of about 4 days I had consumed a carton of chocolate soy milk, two chocolate bars, and our share of a big plate of brownies brought over by another kind mama. Delicious! And apparently torturous for our screaming baby.

So I cut chocolate just to see. And the snots went away. Sigh. Please, enjoy some on my behalf...

Next, she broke out in a nice crop of baby acne. This is apparently normal, but it kept getting worse, spreading into her hair, all over her ears, down her neck, over her shoulders... ouch. Zitty baby.

Then she started spitting up large quantities. Think 2-3 tablespoons of projectile milk all over the bed, me, her - all day, all night. Burp cloths rendered useless. So, I read some more and find that these two discomforts in tandem indicate a dairy allergy. Argh.

So, added to the list: No cheese. No milk. No yogurt. Oh well. The acne is clearing up and she's no longer clawing at her face. Relying on older photos for now, I thought the one above was pretty appropriate. Crabby.

No comments: