September 19, 2007

Smelly Belly Buttons

Yesterday, when I opened Storey's onsie to change her diaper, her cord tumbled out.

Grody.

I stood there and stared at it. The last of what tethered us together while she was inside of me. I can remember raising my head when Dr. Mikol twisted her body out of me and seeing the thick, opalescent blue rope running from her belly, still connected, still pulsing, even though she was breathing air. In that moment we were giving her everything we had to offer, from inside and out. Then Jason cut the cord and she was out, here with us, for good.

So, on her eighth day, what was left of it, left her. It was smellin' pretty funky anyways. I told her now she can wear a two-piece without shame.

And then we read a book to commemorate the occasion.


How often as adults do we remember the origins of our own belly buttons, and the connection that once was there?

It left me inspired to call my Mom. Just to say hi.

No comments: