January 28, 2008

You Are Where You Sleep

Slowly, as Storey recovers from the flu, we've been moving parts of her upstairs nursery to her bedroom downstairs. First the crib, then the dresser, yesterday the changing table. I've started putting her down for naps in that room. I expected her to object, but surprisingly she seems to like it. Eventually, nighttime sleep will occur in there as well. In fact, it's not that she's not ready, but rather more like Jason and I aren't willing to sleep without her in our bed. These connections between us and the girl are oddly powerful. Who would have thought we'd WANT to give up our adult, marital space and delay in taking it back? Not me. But here we are, dragging our feet. We talk about it every few weeks, checking in to see if the other has had a change of heart. "She's still so little." we say. It's that whole thing where half of kids growing up is parents letting them go/grow.

In addition, I'm sure there's some book somewhere that says I should put Storey in her crib awake rather than rock her to sleep. I do both, actually, which then blows all the rules of consistency. But in my opinion, whoever wrote that book, or any book that mandates a single, rigid solution, they've likely missed out on some really wonderful, soft, quiet moments holding their baby, while they were still small and still enough to rock, rock to sleep.

I'll take my chances and continue to indulge. Wouldn't you?

No comments: